Perdue Trucker Steve Williams Is Maryland’s 3 Million Mile Man and 2018 MMTA Driver of the Year
March 18, 2019
Salisbury, Md (Monday, March 18, 2019) — In 29 years as a professional truck driver, Steve Williams has traveled more than 3 million miles without an accident. That’s the equivalent of circling the earth 120 times or making 12 trips to the moon and back!
Williams, a veteran driver for Perdue Transportation Inc., the truck fleet for Perdue Farms based in Salisbury, Md., was named Maryland’s 2018 Driver of the Year by Maryland Motor Truck Association (MMTA).
In his career, Williams has traveled more than three million safe miles, including more than 2.7 million miles as a Perdue trucker. In addition, he:
- Is very active volunteering with disabled children through the Special Olympics World’s Largest Truck Convoy and Operation Teddy Bear, a 31-year Perdue tradition of truckers providing rides in their big rigs for residents of the Holly Center in Salisbury, Md.
- Was recognized in 2018 by the National Private Truck Council as a National Driver All-Star for excellence in customer service, safety, compliance and community service.
- Is a driver trainer at his company’s terminal.
- Placed first in the sleeper berth class at the 2018 Maryland State Truck Driving Championships.
- Rookie competitor in the 2018 Maryland Truck Driving Championship, where he finished first in the 50-axle sleeper berth category
- Competed in Columbus, Ohio at National Truck Driving Championship.
Williams grew up driving tractors and other equipment on his grandfather’s farm. His Dad drove a cement mixer for many years. Williams fondly remembers his Dad blowing the air horn when he arrived home from work and then climbing up in the truck. His Dad is his role model, so much so that as he got older, he was inspired to follow in his footsteps and become a professional driver.
Williams began driving a dump truck for his uncle, then transitioned to Lakeview Farms. He was later offered a job with Perdue and has been driving for them for 25 years. His route often took him to New York City, New York State, and Boston. When asked how trucks have changed over the years, he replied they are easier to drive now, quieter, and more fuel efficient. They require less manual work since they are automatic transmissions and the driver does not have to physically shift gears.
Williams attributes his driving success to performing a proper pre and post trip and adhering to these rules:
- Take your time and slow down, don’t be in hurry.
- Be safe about everything—you don’t want to hurt anybody.
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- Know the equipment that you’re in control of.
“We’re so very proud of Steve Williams and this well-deserved recognition,” said Perdue Transportation Manager Jay Jones. “Perdue’s professional drivers are some of the company’s most visible ambassadors, and Steve is certainly a role model for Perdue and all of our drivers. Steve is not only a safe and conscientious driver, but he’s just a great guy.”
Steve enjoys drag racing, fishing, and taking his wife and children to amusement parks. He also drives the tractor on the family farm to relax.
Every year, MMTA honors 12 professional drivers whose safe driving records and professional conduct earned them recognition as Maryland Drivers of the Month. Employers statewide nominate their drivers for this recognition, with the Maryland State Police selecting the Driver of the Year from an extraordinary pool of candidates. The combined records of the 2018 Drivers of the Month equal 336 years and over 23 million miles of safe driving!
Since 1935, MMTA continues to serve the needs of every segment of the trucking industry through a wide range of informational, educational, regulatory, and legislative initiatives. Recognized as one of the largest trucking associations in the country MMTA has over 1000 member companies. Visit www.mmtanet.com for further information.
About Perdue Farms
Perdue Farms is a fourth-generation, family owned, U.S. food and Agriculture Company. Through our belief in responsible food and agriculture, we are empowering consumers, customers and farmers through trusted choices in products and services. The PERDUE® brand is the number-one brand of fresh chicken in the U.S., and the company is the leader in organic chicken in the U.S., and Perdue AgriBusiness is an international agricultural products and services company. As we approach our 100th anniversary in 2020, our path forward is about getting better, not just bigger. We never use drugs for growth promotion in raising poultry and livestock, and we are actively advancing our animal welfare programs. Our brands are leaders in no-antibiotics-ever chicken, turkey and pork, and in USDA-certified organic chicken. Learn more at www.perduefarms.com.