Organic and Free-Range Chickens
The definition of free-range requires only access to the outdoors, but we know consumers expect more than that.
That's why all of our organic and other free-range chickens are raised on Global Animal Partnership-certified farms that are ranked GAP 2 or above and meet all the welfare requirements of the National Organic Program. These include:
- Natural sunlight
- Open, fresh-air ventilation
- Enrichments, such as bales of hay or straw, that add complexity to the chicken’s environment
- Access to outdoor areas that are typically at least half the size of the chicken house.
- Multiple doors—situated approximately every 50 feet—running the length of the chicken house to encourage birds to go outdoors
- Sunshades or awnings over each doorway
- Outdoor water access
- Pastures with a mixture of grass and earthen areas, allowing the birds to forage and take dust baths
In GAP 2–4 farms, birds are allowed outside during the daytime once their feathers are fully developed to protect them from the elements, which is typically around 4 weeks of age. Birds may come indoors at night and when temperatures are too cold for their comfort.
For GAP 5 farms, birds have perches and are allowed 24-hour access to the outdoors. This program uses a heritage breed that is better suited to the outdoors.
Coleman Natural Hogs
We work directly with family farmers who share our commitment to raising hogs without antibiotics or ractopamine and in a low-stress environment. Our farmers’ sow operations do not use gestation crates. Our hogs are raised in a combination of pastures, hoop barns, outdoor lots and controlled atmosphere barns with fresh-air ventilation. Furthermore, some of our hogs are raised in accordance with the Global Animal Partnership standards.
Niman Ranch is a community of more than 720 independent family farmers and ranchers who raise pork, beef and lamb traditionally, humanely and sustainably to deliver the finest-tasting meat.
Niman Ranch products are all third-party certified under the Certified Humane® program and from animals raised by small, independent U.S. family farmers and ranchers who adhere to some of the strictest animal welfare protocols in the industry, including:
- No antibiotics — EVER
- No added hormones — EVER
- No gestation or farrowing crates
- Raised outside or in deeply bedded pens
- Never fed animal by-products
Many of our products are raised in accordance with Global Animal Partnership standards.